Robot Hand: Myhand
So its the end of Senior year. We have 3 projects going on concurrently and we just find out that we've been given free reign to make anything, within a $50 budget, for our mechatronics project. Do we pick something easy, or challenge ourselves with something creative. Definitely the latter.
We thought, If we could create a functional prosthetic under under extremely tight time and money constraints, imagine the possibilities. The MyHand mimicked the actions of a user wearing a control glove. We employed nitinol muscle wire as the primary actuator because it was cheap and space efficient. In the control glove, we used velostat, a variably resistive material, to sense input data from the glove. Aside from tuning the code to the input of the velostat, the control system was a straightforward design.
Designing a robot hand individual joint actuation and dealing with the slow response times of nitonol was more challenging giving the time constraints.